Saturday, March 12, 2011

Overwhelming

A friend of mine from my fraternity, Mike Congiusta, passed away the other day. He was 20 years old. He had leukemia. And he impressed the hell out of me.

I never knew he was sick until it was announced at a fraternity meeting that he had relapsed and had to pull out of school. I liked Mike from the get-go; he was a sweet guy who made sure everyone felt included and had a smile on. He was a goofy little sombitch, but he worked hard and had a big heart. I always respected him, but when I found out about his cancer, that respect skyrocketed.

He never let the disease own him. He never submitted to it, and never played on anyone's sympathies. He had ambitions, and pursued them. He stayed positive, and made other people feel good. He was a great person.

I hope, with this post and the one prior, to pay my respects, in some small way, to two good men. I was close to neither, but both have my admiration... and both inspire me to strive to make the world a better place, just as they did, even in silly little ways. I hope I can bring some positivity to the world... in memory of Mike and Ger.

No comments:

Post a Comment